Thursday, July 19, 2007

Chicago, and the 3 hour pizza

We left the hotel at about 4 o'clock in search of an authentic Chicago pizza. The front desk lady recommended a place called Giordano's. The plan was to eat somewhere downtown so we could also see lake Michigan.





At least that was the plan.

We made it to the city just fine. Our hotel is in Joliet which is about half an hour west of Chicago. We didn't have a map of the city, but we didn't think it would be a problem because I looked up the directions on our laptop, and saved the screenshot so we could just use the computer to navigate. Everything was fine until we got to our second exit and found that it was closed due to road construction. No problem, there was a detour.

We followed the detour. Our next exit was only supposed to be a little under a mile away, but because of the detour we did not cross that exit. Instead we went through the middle of the city. Neither one of us has ever been to Chicago, and I'm sure some parts of the city, are nice looking, and safe. This was not one of those places. Let's just say that if we were going in search of soul food instead of pizza we would have had about six thousand places to stop. We were getting very frustrated, so I decided to find a gas station, and buy a map. We pulled into the gas station, I stopped and considered getting out. I decided not to get out of the truck after witnessing a blatently open drug deal go down about twenty feet away. After two hours of following a detour through Harlem we finally decided to find the nearest highway, and get out of town. We got back on the nearest highway, and found a SAFE gas station to ask directions to the nearest pizza place. The WHITE casheir kindly informed us of a wonderful place just around the corner. After 3 hours of driving with our doors locked we finally ate a nice dinner, and came back to the hotel for a late night swim.

5 comments:

Loren and Kathy said...

Sounds like a long drive for dinner. Jaime remember when we ended up in a area like that going back to the airport in Baltimore Maryland, after visitng Sarah in Pennsalvania? Glad Matt was with you, he was probibly glad Gus was with him......now gus he's not smart enough to know he's in trouble! Have a good nights rest, Love to all1
Grammama Warta

Tim, Casey, Landon, and Claire said...

We got a good laugh at your Chicago story. Sounds about like our trip to New Orleans. At least you got to experience some "culture" while you were on your trip.

Landon started asking for Mymy yesterday...made our hearts heavy. As long as you keep sending pictures, I think he'll pull through. And of course any silver Toyota is Uncle Matt's truck. Needless to say, we all miss you...even the little peanut.
Love you guys,
Casey

Sandra 7 said...

Wow Jaime! : )

Sounds like you all are havin’ a great time. That “darker” reason of Chicago is why Kevin tells me he’s staying in Yuba Sutter area!!! More whites. He likes that color, he feels like it’s safer most the time. He lets me know, we do have black in our community, it’s just there all in the county jail!  According to deputy Kevin! Well, I love you, & moms rushing me, so I gotta go! Love you all!!! Please give Mya * Niece kisses for me, I miss her bunches!

Love & Prayers
Your Sister Aunt
~Sandra

Brenda and Joe Luna said...

Well, I know MATT LOVES PIZZA, but I don't know if it would be worth losing your life over it.(LOL) (Just kidding).
Be real careful with the BIG CITIES!!!
Small towns or country living is where it is at.
I know of a piece of land in California, (right next to an all year round creek) that is right up your alley. Space between you and your neighbors. It's located in a place called Browns Valley. I hear that the neighbors next to that piece of land are GREAT PEOPLE!!!! (I believe their names are Joe & Brenda Luna).
Let me know if you guys might be interested. Oh yeah, tell MYA that there is a DUCK that she could even feed that is close by,(if she wanted).
O.k. to get serious now, I really enjoyed hearing of your pizza experience. I laughed as I read it, (more than once)
Prayers with you always, Love Mom /(Brenda)

Chris said...

I would ignore that last post with the invite to the duck pond. I know those people they're really weird!!!!

When did my family get so afraid of different cultures, you'd think they had no roots in Richmond San Pablo area. It sounds like Kevin is afraid of black people which is usually the root of racism, there's lots of trashy violent people in the world and they are all different colors, even white?

So are you all afraid now that I know how to blog? It's my first time you know, I usually save all my computer time for work, I can't stand being on the computer when I'm off work but I am in Hawaii so now I have the time.

I'm glad that you and Matt are having this adventure, it sounds like a lot of fun. I saw gus in the back of the truck out of the corner of my eye and my first thought was, "why do they have a cow in the back of the truck"

Well, I'll move over now and make some room for the Gma's.

Love ya guys, give Mya a big smooch from:

Crazy Uncle Chris.