Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Biggest Cost

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't really know.

This week was the final week of a 13 week (part one) Bible Study I committed to. It never ceases to amaze me at how little I know of the Bible. I am sad to admit. The final lesson was on "The Disciple and Suffering". Through several resources we learned the COST of following after Christ. What has impacted me most is the following:

From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was ship-wrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; in weariness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness-besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches. 2 Corinthians 11:24-28

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:10

There is plenty more in between those verses if you're interested in reading. I was shocked. In all honesty, after reading all he went through, part of me thought, "that's just crazy!" I kept thinking about it. It is a high price indeed to follow after Christ. There is nothing about it that is easy.... for many. It made me wonder. Am I that committed? No matter the cost... will I stand firm? Will I "take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake"? Think of that. Let it sit on you. It's heavy.

Now, for the good news! "One message of the Cross is that God chooses not to stand apart from our suffering. He embraces that pain and suffers with us." excerpt from The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg. We have a God, a Savior, a Friend... who COMPLETELY understands what pain is. This Savior didn't have to subject Himself to the price of sin, yet He did it to save us from paying it ourselves. I am overwhelmed by the thought of what He did... for me.

Today a friend shared with me a phrase someone told her.... and it was beautiful. "Trials are not enemies of faith, rather, they are opportunities to show God's faithfulness."

I will put my trust in Him. When pain and suffering comes my way, I will hold Him close and let HIM get me through it. He is faithful.... ALWAYS.

No comments: