Today I was doing a study on "What is a Disciple?". A disciple is someone who follows after, learns, and wants to become like the person they are coming under. For the first time, it hit me. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed Him. Matt. 4:19-20
I am called to be a "fisher of men". Living a good life is not what it is about. If I am not actively bringing people to Christ, I am not living out what I was created to do. Fishing was the disciples' life. It was everything! To become fishers of men meant that they were going to devote all their time, energy, and resources to doing such. I find myself in that picture thinking, "Yikes. If I am to be a fisher of men, and that's it...... I'm failing. I am not giving it priority. I'm leaving it to convenience ." It hit me really hard.
Something we hear a lot of is, "What does God want?" and, "What would it look like if God did what He wanted?" I ponder this question. God wants every person to come to Him, that they can be saved. That they can live forever with Him. What it takes to get there is for me to do my part in my "circle of influence" to bring others to Christ by the way He lives through me. I am thankful that I have learned this lesson today. It reminds me to be "eternity focused".
Another phrase I heard that I will keep with me is: the Christian life is not one of perfection, but one of progress. I need to be continually growing. Don't stop. I am amazed at what God can do with my life when I completely surrender to Him. He is putting me in places I would have NEVER imagined. He is so big, and so good. I love that He sees me for who I am and loves me just the same. With a LOVE that NOTHING can compare to. He loves you in the same way. He knows you by name. Imagine that!
2 comments:
Dear Jaime,
It is a joy to read the thoughts you have shared from your devotions and studies. I love seeing how God is working in and through you.
Love,
Sandy
Jaime,
Keep sharing what God is doing in and through your life. You are touching the lives of so many readers. Don't stop!
Love,
Angela
Post a Comment