Do not turn aside from following the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart. And do not turn aside; for then you would go after empty things which cannot profit or deliver, for they are nothing. For the Lord will not forsake His people, for His great name's sake, because it has pleased the Lord to make you His people. Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord in ceasing to pray for you; but I will teach you the good and the right way, Only fear the Lord, and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you.
But Saul and the people spared Agag.... Now the word of the Lord came to Samuel, saying, "I greatly regret that I have set up Saul as king, for he has turned back from following Me, and has not performed My commandments." And it grieved Samuel, and he cried out the the Lord all night.
Now the Lord sent you on a mission, and said, "Go, and utterly destroy the sinners...and fight against them until they are consumed." "Why then did you not obey the voice of the Lord?" And Saul said to Samuel, "But I have obeyed the voice of the Lord..."
So Samuel said: "Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, He also has rejected you from being king."
1 Samuel 12 & 15
Now Saul was afraid of David, because the Lord was with him, but had departed from Saul. David behaved wisely in all his ways, and the Lord was with him. Thus, Saul saw and knew that the Lord was with David... so Saul became David's enemy continually.
David inquired of the Lord... the Lord said... 1 Sam. 23:2
David inquired of the Lord once again. And the Lord answered him.. 1 Sam. 23:4
David said to the Lord... and the Lord said... 1 Sam. 23:10-12
I have always wondered, "What was it about David that made him "a man after God's own heart"? As I read through the pages of history, I see time and time again, David was continually seeking, continually speaking, and continually obeying the voice of the Lord. You really should take a look at chapter 23.. and more if you are so inclined. It is amazing to me how David and God literally HAVE conversations! How cool is that?! And I think, that is what the Lord longs for: us to bring Him into our day to day, moment by moment, and seek Him. Ask of Him. Listen to Him.
There's more interesting stuff:
1 Samuel 29
Then the princes of the Philistines said, "What are these Hebrews doing here?" And Achish said to the princes of the Philistines, "Is this not David, the servant of Saul kind of Israel, who has been with me these days, or these years? And to this day I have found no fault in him since he defected to me." .. do not let him go down with us to battle, lest in the battle he become our adversary. Then Achish called David and said to him, "Surely as the Lord lives, you have been upright, and your going out and your coming in with me in the army is good in my sight. Nor to this day I have not found evil in you since the day of your coming to me. Nevertheless the lords do not favor you.
I know that you are as good in my sight as an angel of God; nevertheless...
Now David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God.
There's so much more... dig in!
No comments:
Post a Comment