Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Selective Hearing

The Lord is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King. When he is angry, the earth trembles; the nations cannot endure his wrath. God made the earth by his power; he founded the world by his wisdom and stretched out the heavens by his understanding. Gather up your belongings to leave the land. This is what the Lord says: "At this time I will hurl out those who live in this land; I will bring distress on them so that they may be captured." They are a senseless people who do not inquire of the Lord; so they do not prosper. I know, O Lord, that a man's life is not his own' it is not for man to direct his steps. Correct me, Lord, but only  with justice- not in anger, lest you reduce me to nothing. The Lord, the God of Israel says: "Cursed is the man who does not obey the terms of my covenant. From the time I brought your forefathers up from Egypt until today, I warned them again and again, saying, "Obey me." But they did not listen or pay attention; instead, they followed the stubbornness of their evil hearts. So I brought on them all the curses of the covenant I had commanded them to follow but they did not keep." Therefore this is what the Lord says: "I will bring on them a disaster they cannot escape. Although they cry out to me, I will not listen to them. Do no pray for this people nor offer any plea or petition for them, because I will not listen when they call to me in the time of their distress." 
Jeremiah 10 & 11, selected

As I continue to read through the Old Testament, I am amazed at how the God then, compared to Jesus in the New Testament do seem to differ so much. It continues to serve as a reminder to me that I don't have a Savior of love and forgiveness without a God of wrath and justice. He is one and the same. At times it can be confusing, but who ever said we were ever capable of understanding His ways completely? I find comfort in knowing He is all these things, as I know that not a crime will go unpunished. I also find peace in knowing that although no one is perfect, all He requires is that we turn our hearts to Him, and He is quick to forgive and give us a fresh start. What a wonderful Savior! I love the God that I am continually getting to know on a deeper level each day. I wish the same for you. Fall in love with Him.... He's crazy about you!

No comments: