Job Chapter 32 - 42
So these three men (Job's friends) ceased answering Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes. Elihu's wrath was aroused because he justified himself rather than God. Elihu said, "I said, 'Age should speak, and multitude of years should teach wisdom.' But there is a spirit in man, and the breath of the Almighty gives him understanding. Great men are not always wise, nor do the aged always understand justice. Surely not one of you convinced Job, or answered his words. I also will answer my part, I too will declare my opinion. For I am full of words; the spirit within me compels me. I will speak, that I may find relief; I must open my lips and answer. My words come from my upright heart; my lips shall utter pure knowledge. The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life. Surely you have spoken in my hearing, and I have heard the sound of your words, saying, 'I am pure, without transgression; I am innocent, and there is no iniquity in me. Yet He finds occasions against me, He counts me as His enemy.' Look, in this you are not righteous. When deep sleep falls upon men, while slumbering on their beds, then He opens the ears of men, and seals their instruction. In order to turn man from his deed, He keeps back his soul from the Pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.
Man is also chastened with pain on his bed, and with strong pain in many of his bones, so that his life abhors bread, and his soul succulent food. His flesh wastes away from sight, and his bones stick out which once were not seen. Yes, his soul draws near the Pit, and his life to the executioners.
To show man His uprightness, then He is gracious to him, and says, 'Deliver him from going down to the Pit; I have found a ransom'; He shall see His face with joy, for He restores to man His righteousness. "Behold, God, works all these things, twice, in fact, three times with a man, to bring back his soul from the Pit, that he may be enlightened with the light of life." Let us choose justice for ourselves; let us know among ourselves what is good. "For Job has said, 'I am righteous, but God has taken away my justice; should I lie concerning my right? My wound is incurable, though I am without transgression.' Far be it from God to do wickedness, and from the Almighty to commit iniquity. For He repays man according to his work, and makes man to find a reward according to his way. Surely God will never do wickedly, nor will the Almighty pervert justice. Will you condemn Him who is most just? Is it fitting to say to a king, 'You are worthless!' and to nobles, 'You are wicked'? For they are all the work of His hands. "For His eyes are on the ways of man, and He sees all his steps. He strikes them as wicked men in the open sight of others, because they turned back form Him, and would not consider any of His ways. He hears the cry of the afflicted. Do you say, 'My righteousness is more than God's'? No one says, 'Where is God my Maker, who gives songs in the night, who teaches us more than the beasts of the earth, and makes us wiser than the birds of heaven?' Although you say you do not see Him, yet justice is before Him, and YOU MUST WAIT FOR HIM. (back to waiting on the Lord. Sounds easy... but it is SO hard to wait!) He tells them their work and their transgressions- that they have acted defiantly. He also opens their ear to instruction, and commands that they turn from iniquity. If they obey and serve Him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures. But if they do not obey, they shall perish by the sword, and they shall die without knowledge. Will your riches, or all the mighty forces, keep you from distress?Listen to this, O Job; stand still and consider the wondrous works of God.
The Lord answered Job, and said: "Who is this who darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Now prepare yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer Me." (Can you just imagine that?! God telling you to "prepare yourself". Yikes!) "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements? Surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? To what were its foundations fastened? Or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? "Or who shut in the sea with doors, when it burst forth and issued from the womb; when I made the clouds it garment, and thick darkness its swaddling hand; when I fixed My limit for it, and set bars and doors; when I said, "This far you may come, but not farther, and here your proud waves must stop!' "Have you commanded the morning since your days began, and caused the dawn to know its place, that it might take hold of the ends of the earth, and the wicked be shaken out of it? Who has put wisdom in the mind? Or who has given understanding to the heart? Who provides food for the raven, when its young ones cry to God, and wander about for lack of food? ...the ostrich labor is in vain, without concern, because God deprived her of wisdom, and did not endow her with understanding. Moreover the Lord answered Job, and said: "Shall the one who contends with the Almighty correct Him? He who rebukes God, let him answer it." Then Job answered the Lord and said: "Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer You? I lay my hand over my mouth." Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, "Now prepare yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer Me: "Would you indeed annul My judgment? Would you condemn Me that you may be justified? Disperse the rage of your wrath; look on everyone who is proud, and humble him, Look on everyone who is proud, and bring him low; tread down the wicked in their place. Hide them in the dust together, bind their faces in hidden darkness. Then I will also confess to you that your own right hand can save you. (Never thought of, or heard of God being sarcastic.) No one is so fierce that he would dare stir him up, who then is able to stand against Me? Who has preceded Me, that I should pay him? Everything under heaven is Mine.
Then Job answered the Lord and said: " I know that You can do everything, and that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You. Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. Listen, please, and let me speak; You said, 'I will question you, and you shall answer Me.' "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees You. Therefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes." And so it was, after the Lord had spoken these words to Job, that the Lord said to Eliphas, "My wrath is aroused against you and your two friends, for you have not spoken of Me what is right, as My servant Job has. (This is where I have to say, "What?!" All that the friends said seemed true. Now God is angry with them for not speaking as Job? My only thought to this, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that Job spoke in utmost honesty to God. It may not have been reverent, but it was genuine.)
My servant Job shall pray for you. For I will accept him, lest I deal with you according to your folly; because you have not spoken of Me what is right, as My servant Job has." And the Lord restored Job's losses when he prayed for his friends. Indeed the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.
... came to him... and they consoled him and comforted him for all the adversity that the Lord had brought upon him. The End.
Dear friend, where ever you find yourself on this journey we call life, know that the Word of God is true. It is covered in love stories, in heart-wrenching pain, in wisdom for all life's tough circumstances and questions. Make it your best friend. May it become what you live and breath. And in so doing, you will have life in the truest sense. Even when nothing else seems worth living for. All my love, Jaime
1 comment:
Hey!!! Why don't you follow my blog? : ) See what's going on with us. I hope to soon add you as one of my followers, Happy 4th, kisses all around, & I love you guys!!!!
http://me--you-cozadfamily.blogspot.com/
-XOXO Your Sissy~Sandra*C
Post a Comment