Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 8 Part 2

The search for the Ice Cave...First round was a false alarm. It took three hours to find the trail.
Horray!!! The REAL trail head!!! I was litterally jumping in excitement.

The story: Three years ago, just before Matt and I moved from California, we went camping with Tim and Casey up near Lassen. Tim had someone tell him of some Ice Caves up near where we were. You have to understand that in this area, there is little more than logging roads. No signs, no markers, just dirt roads. We spent quite some time looking for these caves before finding them.

Now... three years later, I try to return. I had a rough idea of where to go. But, in three years, a lot changes in the wilderness. After hiking over piles and miles of lava rock, we realize, "nope. This isn't the spot. Let's keep looking." I was just about ready to give up and go home. I had very tired kids. I was bummed because I knew we had to be close. Just then, we see a side road. We take it. I get out and walk a little down the road. Ta Da!!! The SIGN!!!! Woo hooo!!! Yeah. I was really happy. We had a much easier climb this round, being there was a trail here. My dad was so curious, he took the only light and went exploring. The wife, children and grand-children were left behind in the dark. In the cold. My dad kept saying, "Come on guys! You've gotta see this!" Well, there wasn't much we could do in pitch black with ice covered floors and sharp rocks all around. We stayed and waited for him to bring the light back. That is what the photo is of the squiggly light. My dad is crawling back up the cave. The kiddos got to cold, so Mya climbed out and made a "camp fire" to warm up by.

Once my dad came out of the cave, he gave my mom and I the light to go back in. We made it in about half way, then decided we would come back again more prepared. It was still fun.

No comments: