Friday, July 23, 2010

But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his hear from him, how does the love of God abide in him? My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. 1 John 3:17 & 18

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. 1 John 5:21

I am still reflecting on last Sunday's service. I have heard it before, but it was a good reminder (we all need reminders, right?) that an "idol" is ANY thing that takes place of God being our first and highest pursuit. It was said that an idol can be something good, like a spouse, a child, a good career. All are "good" things, but in the wrong place. When we move that thing to the forefront of our lives, it is in fact an idol.

I am trying to be brutally honest with myself in asking that question: "Am I keeping myself from idols?" It is so hard to avoid the many traps of this life. Daily they are set out before my steps. I see that the farther I am from Him, the easier it is to have the lines blurred. Then I find myself pleading, "Father! Keep me close to You that I may not stumble." He will honor that request. I am so thankful.

No comments: