Saturday, October 27, 2007

We're All Home



Emily and I were released from the hospital this morning, just before noon. It is so nice to be home! We've had a relaxing first day... so far.
For those of you interested in how my labor and delivery went, please continue to read. It was 3am when I woke up with so much pressure in my lower stomach that I woke Matt up and told him we needed to get checked out. I wasn't having contractions at this time. Within 15 minutes, the contractions started, and they were strong. I was warming the truck, and waiting for Matt to get Mya loaded, and was timing the contractions. I would have a contraction every 5 minutes, and sometimes closer. We had a 20 minute drive to the hospital from home. We had planned on taking Mya to a friends house, and then heading to the hospital. After just a few minutes into our trip, I told Matt we just had to go straight to the hospital... my contractions were increasing in strength. We checked in at the hospital, and I was dialated to 4cm. They wanted to check me in an hour or so to see if I had progressed. I was put on monitors to chart contractions, and the baby's heartbeat. Sure enough.... every five minutes on the dot I would have a really strong contraction, with two to three smaller ones in between. Fifteen minutes before they were going to check me a second time, I had to call a nurse in. I requested to be checked because I could hardly tolerate the contractions any more, and was really wanting an epideral as soon as possible. A different nurse came in to check me, and quickly said, "You're at an 8, and your water is bulging. We won't be sending you home tonight!" They quickly moved Matt and I to the delivery room down the hall. What a room! It was really big, and very nice. The OB was already waiting in the room for us. Talk about service! As soon as I was on the table he broke my water. That is such an odd feeling! It was 7:45am. The nurse asked if I still wanted an epideral. Matt and I debated whether or not it was worth it with me being so close. I asked the nurse if it would even have time to kick in. She told me that it only takes about 5-10 minutes. I agreed. What a nice choice that was! Five minutes after my epideral, the OB came in and checked me... then asked if I could still feel the contractions, because on the next one, he wanted me to push. I couldn't really be sure if it was a contraction, but I would say, " I think I have one coming on, can you tell?" I told Matt after delivery that it was awesome! I no longer had the incredible pain from the contractions, but was still able to feel Emily be born, and feel the OB stretching me. What a great doctor to do my delivery. He was fast, but still took the time and care to make sure I didn't have to be cut or have a tear. Emily was born at exactly 8am. I thought it was a nice and quick labor, and easy delivery. Thank the Lord for that! I felt so well, I could have been up for going home later the same day. There's all the details!

5 comments:

Summer said...

She's absolutely adorable! I'm so happy Jaime and Emily are home and healthy! I send my love to all 4 of you!

Brenda and Joe Luna said...

Thanks for the details of your labor and delivery.
Dad (Joe) asked me, "O.k., when's the NEXT ONE due????" HaHa (LOL)
I told him, well... at the least 9 months from now. (HaHa)
Hope all continues to go well with you all.
I'll be checking on more future photo's.
Love you all, Mom and Dad
(Brenda & Joe)

Tim, Casey, Landon, and Claire said...

You lucky dog! I would have killed for an epideral! Glad to hear that you're feeling great. Can't wait to catch up with you on the phone. We send our love! Give Emily a big kiss from her cousins in CA.

Anonymous said...

Congratulation to your beautiful family! I am very happy to know you had a fairly easy delivery. That's always nice! I just can't believe you're all the way out in Buffalo! I'm glad all is going well and I look forward to more pictures... as usual, though you will be much busier with two.
Much love to all, Aunt "Great Aunt" Jody

Brian and Angela said...

Jaime, thanks for the details. It made not being there a little more easy. I am glad to here that your delivery went well and that you had a good experience. Get some rest.
Angie