Monday, July 29, 2013

An Unexpected Gift





One evening while I was getting dinner ready, the girls were playing in the backyard. They ran inside, filled with excitement! "Mommy! There's two baby deer in the backyard!" When I went to look, there were other neighbors gathered around. I didn't get to see the fawns. During the night, I heard a strange sound that woke me up and kept repeating. I went to see if I could see anything, but I couldn't. 
The next morning after I dropped the girls off at school, I got out of the car at my house and heard the same noise again. I walked to the backyard, trying to head for the direction I heard the sound. As I got to the backyard and lowed to the ground, I saw movement in the tall grasses. Out comes one of the smallest deer I have ever seen. It came straight to me, no coaxing needed. It was as if I were a deer myself! I placed my hand out and it rubbed it's nose on me, then began licking and nibbling. The poor thing was clearly alone and hungry. As I went inside to make some phone calls for help on the situation, it followed on my heels. I was able to spend 2 hours with this little thing, holding it in my arms, petting the nose, and trying to wipe him dry from all the rain. It was the most incredible thing to experience! I only wish the kids could have been able to enjoy it with me.  

No comments: